Thread: AA and pets
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 4, 2011, 09:20 AM

When Evan went through ATG, our dogs didn't even come into question. I believe that was because Evan's immune system was still intact and his biggest enemy was his own bacteria over growing and causing his neutropenic fevers. Evan had been living with his beloved bichons for 6 years prior to his AA diagnosis so they really weren't a threat.
Now post BMT, Evan's main doc and the BMT orientation booklet maintained a no pet policy for 3 months. When I questioned this policy as it pertained to our indoor non-shedding frequently shamppoed bichons who were well cared for and very healthy, the other doc and the nurses stated that the no pet policy was 'old school' and unecessary. They recognized the important role pets played in emotional health and healing.

So my opinion is indoor domestic clean and healthy pets -yes, all other pets, especially those on farms and in barns (think mould -BAD) -no.
Nicole, mom to Evan (20); diagnosed SAA November 2007, hATG mid-November 2007, no response after 6 months, unrelated 9/10 BMT June 2008, no GVH, health completely restored thanks to our beloved donor Bryan from Tennessee.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/evanmacneil