Thread: MDS to AML
View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 02:07 PM

MDS to AML

Thankyou to DanL and Evans Mom;
Thanks for such a quick response.
I did look up Hydrea and found it was used more for CML not
AML.
Cytarabine seemed more successful in tests than Hydrea for AML. The thing is that Cytarabine may only come in injections which may require hospitalizaion.
It's good to know from Evans Mom that the platelets where not reduced. With the platelet level at 6-16 x1o^9/l or 6-16,000 per dl there isn't a whole lot of room for decline.
Hydrea at 500mg 3x a day seems to be close to the dosage that's recommended. The recommended dosage is 20-30mg/kg for continuous treatment. For my wife that would be at the low dosage 1900 mg per day or close to 500mg 3-4 a day. With only 500mg 1x a day seems low but we'll see what the counts are next week.
The nurse said that Hydrea would also reduce the blasts. There are also Aur rods present. Will the Hydrea have any impacrt on those or just on the white red and platelets.
I also haven't been on here for a few months. When things are stable one forgets about the situation and almost goes into denial.
It's good to be here again and I already see a few situation where I can be of support or at least a listening ear.
Wife 63, June 2010 MDS (refr anemia - excess blasts type-2) PLTs 11,000/μl with giant forms 2 TF/wk. Hgb kept at 80g/l with 1TF per 2 weeks. 9% blasts 2 cytogenic abnormalities del(5)(q22q35) + inv(20)(p11.23q11.21) 3 cycles Vidaza no effect. June 2011 to AML WBC to 67 blasts and Aur rods in blood.