Thread: MDS
View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 22, 2007, 04:21 PM

Hi Donna. My husband was also initially diagnosed with AML (June 2006, shortly before turning 32). After a 2nd bone marrow biopsy his diagnosis was also changed to MDS. They called his "high risk" or "high grade." Similar to you, the treatment either way involved transplant. My husband only has one brother who was not a match, so we had to search the registry. In the meantime, my husband was started on Vidaza. Fortunately for him, he started to respond at the end of the 1st cycle, just as the second cylcle was to begin. Because he was responding so well we kept hoping that the doctors would tell us, "turns out a transplant isn't necessary afterall!" Unfortunately that never happened. The doctors said that Vidaza would not work forever. And even though Joe was effectively in remission, going off of Vidaza (or hanging on until Vidaza stopped working its magic) there was a huge chance for relapse. A relapse would make the whole treatment process even more difficult.

We were blessed to find a donor within 6 months (21 year old female). Joe had his transplant this past January. Today he is 103 days out (who's counting, right?) I'm happy to say that he is doing really well. Recovery hasn't been easy, but Joe is more than aware that things could have been far worse for him. This week he is looking and feeling better than ever, and most people would probably have no idea he has been through so much.

Hope that helps. I'll be praying for you and your husband.

Karen