Thread: Dropping counts
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 10:23 PM

Hi there.

Those are great counts over all, but there is no denying the trend here. Am I to assume your daughter is now off cyclosporine? If so, a decision may need to be made in the next month or two to get her back on it.

At this point, if it were my child, I would want labs every week rather than waiting another month to get a good grasp of the trend and react accordingly if the counts continue to drop. I've read many good results coming out of restarting cyclosporin without repeating ATG. But we musn't jump too far ahead either.

It's also very possible that a few months ago when your daughter's wbc and anc were high, she was fighting an infection of some sort. Platelets will rise as a normal response to infection. Perhaps once the infection cleared, the whites and platelets settled back down some.

Just keep doing what your doing...watch closely, ask questions, advocate and push for action when/if necessary.
Nicole, mom to Evan (20); diagnosed SAA November 2007, hATG mid-November 2007, no response after 6 months, unrelated 9/10 BMT June 2008, no GVH, health completely restored thanks to our beloved donor Bryan from Tennessee.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/evanmacneil