View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 10:01 AM

Full vs Mini Transplant

Hi Lori
I am by no means a transplant expert or even fully informed on all fronts.
But your posts seems to imply that you feel really rushed in making your decision. If relapse risks are equal, which offers less side effects...

When approached about a transplant, I heard "4 days full body radiation" and that stopped me in my tracks...FOUR DAYS! That can't be good for you! They sheild us with a lead apron for a dental xray! And one cause of leukemia is radiation. Have they given you info on long term effects? I heard something about my eyes/cataracts...and they were pressuring me --heavily. I was in no physical shape at that time to recover from a headcold, much last a BMT.

I have learned that some hospitals use chemo instead of radiation; doctors are bound by their hospital protocols...have you gotten a second opinion, from another doctor at another facility? Exhausted all other treatment options?
Hopefully, the well informed folks on this website can give you further information.
I wish you the best and hope you feel comfortable with whatever decision you make....Cheri
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly