View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 05:05 AM

Cool

The latest on me... I've had all my pre-tests. The clinical trial for the mini is like this. They cannot give me a mini because I am TOO YOUNG.... unless I participate in a clinical trial where they are using a drug that has been around a long time at a certain point after my transplant to see if it helps prevent some of the GVHD problems. AND I was 1 point below what they require in the pulminary diffusion test to be a shoe in. So they are having their Review Board determine if they should let me in anyway. Then, they have to go to the insurance for their approval. Much clearer now.

As for radiation, I told them I REALLY don't want radiation. They said they have another standard radiation free protocol that uses high chemo instead. woo hoo.... or not. I have signed the release for the clinical trial and the standard chemo so I am leaving it to God. I do have to find out my echocardiogram results too. I have palpitations frequently -- stress? We shall see if they affected the test. The technician said they would not.

I'm tentatively scheduled for next Monday, but that depends on the insurance timeliness after the board review which they said would not take long. (Sounds like it would take a while to get 11 board members to review it!) If I go the high chemo route I will likely be ill.... yay. Seems odd that I feel wonderful right now and in a few days I won't! Amazing what the medical field can do.

I'll let you know what the scoop is! Oh I have to go in Thursday morning to have a CBC so they can make sure nothing (blasts) show up. Until then, I am trying to relax and leave it to God. That's hard to do sometimes....!

Thank you all for your input. It is valued. Jim, you are right.... too much is overwhelming. I feel good about the two options now and really have no preference. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (sigh of relief). OH, they did say I will get my stem cells from my brother "fresh". He will be right down the hall giving them and they will come directly to me. Isn't that amazing? smiles Hugs and Blessings to all of you. Lori
Lori, female age 53 dx MDS-RAEB-II 15% blasts 10-2010. Induc Chemo 10/14/10 for 7 days - results unacceptable so 5 additional days chemo. Complete Remission 12/10/10!! SCT 1-11-11 remission achieved!!! BMB 1-29-11 100% Donor! cgvh eyes,skin (Caringbridge.org/visit/loripatrick)