View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Patrick View Post
The latest on me... I've had all my pre-tests. The clinical trial for the mini is like this. They cannot give me a mini because I am TOO YOUNG.... unless I participate in a clinical trial where they are using a drug that has been around a long time at a certain point after my transplant to see if it helps prevent some of the GVHD problems.
Eh? There must be more to this "clinical trial" than age and RIC, because I was barely 30 when I had my mini-transplant last year, and there was no question about me getting it, and it was no trial.

The mini transplant was PERFECT for me because my hypo-MDS meant my marrow was pretty much entirely devoid of cells before the transplant, so they hardly needed any chemo to knock out what was left. So even though I was young and (before I got ill) very healthy, I just got reduced doses of chemo and no radiation. I wasn't sick at all (no nausea, no vomiting, nothing), and I didn't lose any weight (grrr). My donor was a 9/10 match, too.

Like someone else mentioned in the other thread, I've been pretty much the poster child for transplants at Kings, too. The doctors are absolutely delighted and my marrow and cells have been 100% donor since the first post-transplant BMB. And I've been told flat-out by a consultant that there's pretty much zero chance of my bone marrow problems coming back.

So just keep in mind that RIC is not just for the old, frail, and weak! It can be a great option for the young and fit, too.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)