View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 26, 2012, 02:16 PM

Norma, if the best match they've found for Yashar is 9/10, I'd go with ATG again, and I'd go with horse. You can keep the rabbit in reserve in case the horse doesn't work. From what I've heard, going back to horse after you've done rabbit is not advised, I'm not sure why. Going the other way seems to be okay, but as Neil says, recent evidence seems to point to horse as the more effective treatment.

Ken's ATGs were both horse. At the time I too thought it was customary to switch to rabbit for the second round, but our doctor said that since he'd had a response to horse the first time, it's likely he would again. His relapse didn't have anything to do with the horse serum's effectiveness, it was a taper issue. The second round worked fine, in fact better than the first. We were armed with all of the trials and errors from the first round and able to make some better treatment decisions the second time.

Also, based on a consult, the doctor increased his infusions from 5 days the first time to 10 days for the repeat, and said that if we ever had to do it again, it should be for an even longer period, say 15 days. We have a new doctor now, and neither he nor I have been able to find any information to supports this practice, but it worked out well for him.