View Single Post
Old Fri May 27, 2016, 02:27 PM

Just wondered if there was any answer or dx to this as my 7 yr old has been going through these very same symtoms for the last 3yrs. He never had a retic done until this past Sept tho. He had two low retic counts with in 3 week both very low. The first test hbg was normal @ 125 with retic @23 with a slighlty hi rdw. The 2ND test only 3weeks later upon our regular drs return was
Hb 116 lo (120-160)
Hematocrit .35 lo (0.360-0.480)
Rbc 4.28 lo (4.50-5.50)
Rdw 15.0 hi (11.5-14.5)
Retic 29 lo ( 40-80)
We were then refered to a hematologist with our pedi saying he may need a bmb and to start him back on iron. When we saw the hematologist his numbers were perfect that day which I attribute to being back on an iron suppliment as is always the case and possibly being on prednisone for poison ivy but I have no idea if that would have affected it.. The hematologist had reviewed all of our prior b/w but had not seen the first b/w with low retic in Sept because it was done by a different dr. When I showed it to him he felt that maybe my son was just sick at the time and thats why the retic was lo... explaining that your always gonna have some numbers out in b/w ....but I don't recall him being sick with anything viral ect .anyway hematologist was unconcerned as numbers were good that day. Told us to go off iron he didnt need to see us again and do cbc in six months. so we just had that done and results are hbg good @130, rdw is hi , and retic is 19. I haven't heard from the pedi so I assume that he's fine with that but I'm not sure if I should contact the hematologist again or if it is just beating a dead horse after they said he's fine.... I just don't like the low retic and he gets low energy and nosebleeds but over the last 3 yrs . hb has never been below 100 and Platelets are always normal any advice please!!!