View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 8, 2014, 10:20 PM

Heather, the thing that struck me the most about how careful i should continue to be after day 100, is when I watched a GVHD video on the Blood & Marrow Transplant site: http://www.bmtinfonet.org/

The video mentioned that GVHD risk &/or symptoms could increase with cold/flu or other illness, including food borne.

This made me decide not to put myself around anyone with any symptoms until my 1 year date (later this month). We even cancelled a planned flight, when my hematologist suggested that unless it was a necessary to fly on a commercial airline, she wouldnt recommend it until my 1 year date.

We did start eating out at 60 days as my counts were normal, but only at times when the restaurants were relatively empty. I made sure all my food was cooked to 165 & I still haven't eaten any non cooked food except at home, where I know its been properly cleaned. We avoided sitting near anyone who appeared to have symptoms & I am still 100% hands free everywhere except at home, using disposable gloves or paper towels to open doors...

At home, my husband continued to wipe down surfaces for 6 months post transplant and anyone entering our home had to be healthy and use hand sanitizer.

Truly we've been following most of these rules for almost 3 years because my immune system has been compromised since March 2011. These precautions worked so well that my first illness in more than 3 years was a cold end December. Even though we have been out and about quite a bit.