Thread: New to site
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 01:57 AM

My mom had a blister on her hand. went to the dr. gave her antibiotics, nothing happened. Thank goodness her reg dr. ordered a ton of blood tests. We got a call to go see an hematologist. They reviewed the blood, did a bmb that day, and first thought from the results were acute leukemia. They admitted her to the hospital that day, and did a transfusion. They had her in a chemo room and we were told she would be in the hospital for the next 30 days. They did not think she would live without treatment. One of the blood tests ran found traces of the bacteria for eurlickia (sp) . We met with one of the top doctors in the Country who specializes in this at Barnes hospital. My moms blood tests were sent to 5 different hematologists to get a census. We were told that the bmb bone looked fine. It took 30 days for the biopsy to come back. Because Eurlickia
can mimic MDS, immature white blood cells, lowered red blood cells and lowered platlets, my mom was treated for that bacteria. This is while waiting for the biopsy. I guess the hope was that is what it was. after the treatment her blood was retested and no traces were found. the doctors then monitored her blood for the next 8 weeks. Since her cells continue to drop, they went back did another bmp and have concluded it is mds. Their belief is that she may have gotten a false /positive on the eurlickia. The good news is that my mom went to the Doctor. Had she not had the blister that wouldn't heal, she would have just thought she was run down. My mother has no other illnesses, has never had an operation, blood pressure , everything fine.
Hope that clarifies.