View Single Post
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 04:27 PM

transfusions

Millikens2 -Thanks for all the helpful information and the encouragement.
It's so nice that you can do the injections yourself - what a blessing!
How often does your husband get a CBC? Does he have to go to the hospital/clinic for blood tests and blood typing before a transfusion? Or do you do that too and take it to a lab for processing?
I hope the Dacogen starts working soon!

When my Dad was in the hospital, Medicare came and talked to him to see if he qualified for homebound status, and they disqualified him because he said he goes to the grocery store with my mom. He used to go and hang on to the shopping cart like a walker. But he hasn't been since he got out of the hospital and likely will never go again. I'll talk to him about getting his status changed to Homebound.

Bebop - when my Dad's hgb was 7.8 it said C-critically low. So your Dad's doctor must have been willing to let him get critically low (under 8.0) in the beginning. Did your Dad get CBC's every other week in the beginning?

It sounds like thresholds for getting a transfusion are different....and there's the quality of blood issue as well. If my Dad really doesn't think they helped, maybe he can wait until his counts are critically low.

Happy Friday Everyone!!! One week from now, I will be on a plane to see my Dad - Yay, I can't wait to see him!!!