View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 26, 2017, 05:40 PM

I think that this is a difficult question to answer. I understand your concern about going through with transplant with a wound that is not healed completely, but there is also reasonable concern that your husband needs a transplant before his disease progresses to AML. The suggestion that you get a detailed treatment plan for the abscess sounds like a good precaution. One benefit of going to transplant is that you are in the hospital where you can be put onto antibiotics with a moment's notice. I had a couple of different infections when I had my transplant, and a few afterwards as well. Being a transplant has the advantage of being treated with great urgency.

As for the fibrosis, I had grade 2 fibrosis at the time of transplant and double digit blasts as well. I think that getting the transplant before the fibrosis advances and blasts become too high is important from a number of levels as pointed out in the article that julieme attached.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.