Thread: Newly diagnosed
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 6, 2008, 11:11 PM

Nice to meet you Nancy - Like you, this is all new to me and I have much to learn. Looking back, the only symptoms I had were easy bruising and sometimes bleeding gums when brushing. Never really gave it a second thought except maybe improving my diet. October 9th I went to the hospital (first time ever, rarely have I ever been sick other that a cold) where I was admitted and ended up staying for over a week. My main problem was low white blood cell count. A week after the BMB I was given the news I had MDS. Contracting pneumonia was a blessing in disguise or I may have gone a lot longer still not knowing. I was told the pneumonia was not caused by the MDS, but that I had such a hard time getting rid of it because my immune system was compromised. I start some kind of treatment Monday (5 days on, 15 off) I forget what it is exactly.

My spirits are high, and I am determined to learn all I can as soon as possible so I can come up with a game plan for my future. Doctors estimate I have had this for quite some time. I am placed in intermediate 2 catagory because of abnormal cells I think. I am surprised they want to perform a BMT so quickly without giving drugs a chance to stabilize things.

Good luck to you!