Thread: Work and AA
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 10:24 PM

When first diagnosed I continued to work full time one month, then took short term disability from my job and recieved horse ATG/ cyclosprine treatment. I could not work at all when taking high doses of prednisone. I went on long term disability with my work 3 mos. later and the policy had a return to work incentive so I was able to go part time and still receive some disability benefits from that policy. I had to work enough hours to keep my health insurance but I felt sooooo sick.... it was very, very hard for me. I was so fatigued I had to rest 4 times just to walk a slight incline up one block to the stop sign on my street. By 9 months after the treatment and as my bone marrow improved, I went back full time and went off of disability. It was a big decision but I am glad I did it as I got stronger from working. It has been just under 2 years since I went back full time. I wish I could work 5-6 hours per day instead of 9 but financially it is not possible. But I am doing pretty good. I do get fatigued at the end of a busy day. I do not need transfusions at all now. If I did I think it would be hard to work this much.
JEZ, 50s, diagnosed AA Dec 2006, ATG one time, serum sickness resolved / took cyclosporine (Neoral) with delayed response but now with good labs/ recent kidney toxicity, so off of cyclosporine now and trying generic Imuran