View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 03:23 PM

Update- Vidaza vs 7-3 Chemo ??

HI,
Thanks for everyone's comments and good wishes. I would like to hear your words of wisdom as my situation progresses. I finished my 2nd cycle of Vidaza and Procinostat a few weeks ago. We were hoping my counts would go up but they are still low and I needed red and platelets this weekend. I also spent four days in the hospital last week with an infection and got IV antibiotics. My white counts are close to zero. This week I feel great..no chemo and lots of red blood cells from transfusion giving me energy.

I will have a BMB on Thursday, the first since I started Vidaza in November. With my counts still low, I am concerned that the Vidaza hasn't put me in remission. Dr. Roboz said that if I don't show signs of remission after two cycles of Vidaza, she may want to put me in the hospital for a month (I can barely write this..it seems so scary to me) and give me the heavy duty chemo 7-3. I expected to have more cycles of Vidaza; I didn't realize that we should expect remission in two cycles. My guess is that she is concerned because my last BMB showed 24% blasts. Should the blasts increase, I will have full blown AML and be at greater risk.

I am curious about how long other patients have been on Vidaza without success before the doctor decided to try something else. Also what treatment were you given post Vidaza?

Has anyone been through the 7-3 chemo. Was it as horrendous as it sounds? Did it get you into remission? I have decided to go for a transplant. I don't really see any alternative. But first I must be in remission.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and support.
Alyse