View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 03:40 PM

Newly diagnosed (I think?)

Hi all
I have recently been referred to Haematology as I have very low neutrophil count as well as low platelets. I have been put on iron and B12 supplements for the time being.

I had a bone marrow biopsy a month ago and have just had the results back.

When I first went for the result they said that the bone wasn't back, but they had blood test result from that day and also a liquid? (can't remember exactly what he said) result from the biopsy. The doctor said that those weren't showing anything abnormal, but they had to wait for the bone to come back.

When I went back the next time for the main result, they said that my bone marrow is empty, there aren't many cells and there isn't much activity for my age (24). The doctor sent me immediately for chest x-ray and has scheduled a 24 hour ECG, an ultrasound on my tummy (not sure if for a particular area or just general), and further blood tests to screen for certain things such as PNH. He said another biopsy will probably be needed.

When describing my bone marrow the doctor said it is what they call aplastic. I read up on this and aplastic anemia came up. Does this mean that he diagnosed me with aplastic anemia? I will ask him this next time I see him (next month), but I've taken this as a diagnosis but I'm not 100% sure if it is.
I'm assuming that this is what I have and that the tests are to rule out any other conditions.

Has anyone been through the same thing? If so what was the outcome at the end? Is it likely to be anything serious (such as leukemia) if the doctor said the blood test and liquid from the biopsy weren't abnormal?
I want to write down some questions before I go back next month, if anyone has any useful questions I could ask that would be great.

Thanks!