View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgitta-A View Post
Hi aggarab,
There are two new drugs for low platelets - Nplate and Revolade - but they are still only approved for patients with the bleeding disease Immune Thrombopenic Purpura.

MDS patients still have to try to take care of our platelets as well as we can. In your fathers case he will have to rely on transfusions till he hopefully will respond and the platelets will increase.

You know there are many kinds of drugs and food that affect the platelets or increase bleedings. I have copied this link several times to the members of this forum since many patients try food that is supposed to make you healthy (like omega 3 and garlic) but can be dangerous for the MDS patient with low platelets:
http://www.pdsa.org/itp-information/itp-warnings.html

Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Hi Birgitta, I tried to access that link but it appears to be dead, I did go to the pdsa.org site and found some of the stuff interesting, macrobiotics sound interesting. I was curious if you recall what the issue is with garlic and omega 3 I couldn't find anything on them that would effect platelet production. I am one of the folks that try foods to promote health, I currently have a long list of good foods that I'm sticking with, garlic and omega 3 are on it. My platelets at last count were 78. Have you tried any foods that have worked?

found the info on the site,they must have moved it. http://www.pdsa.org/about-itp/warnings.html ... it answers my question that the foods listed do not reduce platelet production or count, which is good because i also eat blueberries, drink green tea and coffee. would still appreciate hearing if you have had or heard of any luck with any foods helping platelet production/count.

Last edited by tom30 : Tue Sep 21, 2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: found the info...