View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 15, 2012, 10:40 AM

Danny,

I highly recommend that you see someone that specializes in Aplastic Anemia and MDS as soon as possible. Dr Ron Paquette at UCLA is excellent and is not that far from you. You will have to pay for that first consultation (~$350 I think), but after that he can guide your team at Kaiser in your proper treatment. The reason that I am urging you to do this quickly is that you didn't follow a standard IST protocol (with ATG) for Aplastic Anemia at Kaiser. Also MDS is very rare in young patients. Do you have *signficant* dysplasia or increased blasts or chromosome abnormalities to warrant this diagnosis? Some dysplasia in your RBC's can be seen with Aplastic Anemia. Dr. Paquette can help with your correct diagnosis. He has treated 100's of patients. You need someone who has treated 100's of patients when you have a rare disease. This is your life we are talking about!

If money is an issue, you can pressure Kaiser for a second opinion with an expert. However, don't waste time waiting for their approval. Do it in parallel with getting the appointment with Dr. Paquette! I would be very hesistant to start Vidaza when you haven't really gone through the "gold standard" IST protocol with ATG. (Again, this is assuming you don't have increased blasts or genetic abnormalities).