Thread: My Mom
View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 05:01 PM

Unhappy My Mom

Hi,

I have been lurking here for a while. My mom was diagnosed with MDS in October 2011. She is 81. Two years ago she was treated for Lymphoma and was treated with Rituxan. She started getting tired this fall and went to onco. That was when she was diagnosed. She did a month of Revlimid, but couldn't take it. It was killing her. Since the end of March she has had transfusions every two weeks. About a month ago the doctor told us she should be put on Hospice care. Then he give her 60 mgs. of prednisone. It was the best three weeks she had in a very long time.

Last Friday, she had a blood transfusion. She told the onco that she felt like she had a cold. I was surprised he didn't start her on antibiotics then. A night later she spiked a fever and was taken to the hospital. She has been there since Sunday. They keep giving her antibiotics, but the infection is not going away.

Today they gave her platelets and hemoglobin. My mom also told me that she realized that they had reduced her prednisone to 10 mgs from 60. I called the dr. to ask why and he couldn't give me an answer. I am not fond of this doctor.

Any advice on how to help her would be so appreciated. This is much harder than I ever thought it would be. I am a 3 time cancer survivor myself.

Thank you.