View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 03:14 PM

Vidaza

My dad is scheduled to start Vidaza as of today. However, I am so hesitant at this time whether or not this is the appropriate treatment for my dad. My dad's white blood cells and platelets are at a normal range and he does not have abnormal chromosomes nor excess blasts. I am starting to wonder whether or not MDS is even the correct diagnosis for my dad. It probably is, but I am holding onto that hope that perhaps it isnt.

Has anyone heard of someone with my dad's condition where the bone marrow is just not producing any red blood cells but the white blood cells and platelets are normal? I been researching on my end and it seems like patients with MDS often have low levels in all three areas.

Anyhow, I was able to make an appointment with another hemotologist, Dr. Rodriguez, from Kaiser today at 1:30 for a second opinion. We are going to go see him before the Vidaza is about to begin. I dont know if I should have my dad begin Vidaza but we'll see what Dr. Rodriguez's opinion is. In the meanwhile, I have also scheduled an appointment with Dr. Paquette from UCLA for 04/23. Hopefully the appointment with the UCLA Medical Center isn't going to be a strain on my dad's health. I actually spoke with Dr. Paquette and he was really nice and charming and made me feel at ease.

We'll see what's in store for us today..... everyday has been such a roller coaster!