View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 01:48 AM

Status Update - Myeloproliferative

Today I was able to obtain a second opinion with a doctor at the hemotology dept at Kaiser, where my dad is treating at. Although we were scheduled to begin Vidaza as of today, I wanted to get a second opinion as whether or not my dad's dx is correct and whether Vidaza is the appropriate treatment that should be taken at this time in light of my dad's condition.

My parents and I met with Dr. Rodriguez and he was great. Apparently Dr. Rodriguez was at the City of Hope and just recently joined the Kaiser team 2 months ago. Dr. Rodriguez sat with us and gave us his opinion and explained all the medical terms and findings for us in a lay person's terms. He also explained that MDS is probably the correct dx for my dad, but my dad probably falls somewhere along the lines between Myelodysplastic and myeloproliferative syndrome.

It appears right now that my dad's condition is fairly good considering the dx. His red blood cells are the only cells that are currently affected (he cannot generate any red blood cells which makes his hgb drop drastically) and his white blood cells and platelets remain in the normal range. Thankfully as I indicated earlier, he does not have any chromsome abnormalities nor any excess blasts. However, my dad will not be able to receive transfusions all throughout his life and thus, Dr. Rodriguez finds Vidaza reasonable at this time considering his findings.

Dr. Rodriguez is wonderful. He explained my dad's health thoroughly and laid out all the possible avenues that we may take at this time. I am so thankful that we were able to find such a caring and informative doctor. I also expained to him that I would like to get an outside opinion at UCLA which he strongly encourages. Thus, at the end of the appointment, we changed my dad's treating physician to Dr. Rodriguez.

We have a tenantive appointment with the UCLA Medical Center with Dr. Paquette for April 23th but I am trying to get an earlier appointment date. Right now, I am hoping for the best and taking each day as it comes. Perhaps Dr. Paquette can provide insight as to my dad's illness and we can have a new fresh set of eyes to look over my dad's charts.

In the meanwhile, my dad has a follow up appointment on the 27th w/ Dr. Rodriguez and he will probably receive a transfusion then. For the next appointment, I feel like I will be more prepared for what to expect.

Today was a great day considering the graveness of my dad's illness. We decided to hold off on the Vidaza at this time and wait for Dr. Paquette's recommendations. Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on this approach that we're taking?

I would like to personally thank everyone on this forum for alll the information and sharing your stories. Each story is unique and inspirational. Thank you to everyone on this forum!! Ruth, thank you again for all your help. I cannot thank you enough!!!!

I do have 2 question at this time. Does anyone know anything of myeloproliferative? And perhaps the similiarities/differences between MDS and MPD? And perhaps what kind of diet a person with this condition should be on? Any information wiill be more than helpful!!

Last edited by choijk : Fri Mar 16, 2007 at 01:56 AM. Reason: spelling error