View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 2, 2007, 07:37 PM

Thank you Wayne

Thank you Wayne for sharing your experiences with me! My dad is scheduled for his 2nd shot of Procrit tomorrow. We have a follow up next Wednesday so we will check his CBC's at that time. I just made notes of your experiences and will bring them up to Dr. Rodriguez if we see no changes in my dad's blood counts. Dr. Rodriguez is taking the more conservative approach with my dad's condition since he is a low risk MDS and what I really like about him is that he listens to what I have to say and doesn't disregard anything just because I'm not a fellow medical expert. When I bring something up to him, he gives me his opinion, and supports why or why he does not recommend a particular treatment with medical evidence.

Wayne, I definetly have been doing my homework. I have been all over the Internet, researching up any information that might be helpful. I think about MDS every single moment of the day, from the minute I wake up to the moment I go to sleep. I also tell and explain to everyone that I know or who is willing to hear about MDS so that I can spread the awareness of this rare disease. I, including myself, had no idea what MDS was nor of any other bone marrow failure diseases until my dad was diagnosed. I am trying to educate myself everyday and to find an approach that will help my dad's quality of life. One of the things that I have found throughout my research in the past 3 weeks is juicing of organic fruits and vegetables; although juicing is not a cure for MDS, it seems that some of the patients' blood count levels stabilized -- whether this is due to the juicing or perhaps a benefit of some other type of treatment, who knows, but the patients all seem to agree that whatever it is, they plan to continue doing what they are doing. So I plan to go out this week and buy a juicer for my dad. Has anyone on this forum done this or is currently doing this?
June, daugther. 71 yr old father dx on 01/13/07 with MDS/MPD - RCMD/Secondary MF). No excess blasts no excess chromosomes. Hypercelluar 70-80%. Low hgb. Transfusion dependent every 3-4 weeks/2pints. Began Procrit on 03/27/07. No progress thus far. Taking Folic Acid, B6, CoQ10, and Cod Liver Oil