View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 29, 2011, 09:25 PM

FISHy Translocation

Hey Darice!

You have this chromosome stuff on the run!

On the translocation that was found in the karyotype but not referenced in the FISH: The issue could be that there is no probe commercially available to FISH for that particular abnormality. Specific probes are developed for all the more common and significant abnormalities, but the potential number of abnormalities and probes is, of course, practically infinite, so the probe manufacturers (Abbott seems to be a big one) may not have made one for Jens' translocation.

For example, when I had a BMB with full FISH MDS panel back in September, I asked whether we should do FISH for Chromosome 1, since karyotype had found an abnormality there. NIH's Dr. Matt Olnes said that would be a good idea, but allowed that he wasn't sure a probe was available for my dup(1) (q21:q32). It turned out a probe was available, so that was included in the FISH.

On Monosomy 7: There was an interesting letter and response in a recent issue of the Journal of Clinical Oncology on Monosomy 7 MDS and AML treated with Campath, an immunosuppressant.

Here's the letter from docs at Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, AZ, and here's a positive response from Olnes and Phillip Scheinberg of NIH. I understand you have bigger fish to fry at the moment, but it might be worth tucking this thought away for later.

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com