View Single Post
Old Sat May 7, 2011, 03:09 PM
Owner

In considering whether this sounds like bone marrow failure, these are the sentences that I found most relevant. Here's how I interpret the "medicalese" in English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna E View Post
Trilineage hematopoiesis is presesnt with small erythroid islands, regions of granulopoiesis and scattered megakaryocytes
Translation: Your son's marrow contains the precursor cells for red cells, white cells, and platelets, as it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna E
Bone marrow does not show any morphological evidence of malignacy.
Translation: The cells in his bone marrow have normal sizes and shapes (so I think you can rule out MDS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna E
The cause for hypocellularity for age is not morpholically apparent. May be due to reactive phenomenon due to systemic illness. Although early bone marrow failure syndrome cannot be entirely excluded it is noted the the peripheral blood counts are unremarkabe and this diagnosis is not favored at this time.
Translation: Low cellularity doesn't seem to be from bone marrow failure and is more likely from some other cause, which may in turn affect the bone marrow. They can't be 100% certain it's not bone marrow failure but it makes more sense to look elsewhere for the explanation.

When my wife and I read bone marrow biopsy reports we "translate" them like this and then ask the doctor if we're correct. I suggest that you do the same anytime you find the terminology hard to interpret.