Thread: EPO+Gcsf
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 23, 2013, 07:13 AM

Blasts/growth factors

MDSPerth, it is indeed a worrying time. Do you know if there is any bone pain after the Gcsf shots? Surprisingly, I am still unable to find any study/information connecting marrow cellularity with the use of growth factors.

Cheryl C, I so wish that my concern and involvement could result in a positive outcome for her, in her case a higher Hb or atleast longer transfusion intervals. Thanks for the explanation on blasts. How do you handle your neutropenia without Gcsf?

There seems to be no treatment for MDS without many associated risks. At this point, she feels fine, and is able to stay active and eat well with the once in 3 weeks transfusions.

Even though she has RCMD, her whites and platelets are stable, well within normal range, its her rbc/hemoglobin which is the bothersome one. She is low risk, <1% blasts as per BMB in May'13. The doctor said we could expect to see TLC counts of as high as 25 once she gets neupogen, which may reduce in the week but then it would be time for next nepogen shot. Though he has prescibed it on my insistence, he is not hopeful of any result(he does not tell me why) which makes it more difficult for me. However, the EPO+Gcsf combination is supposed to have a 30%-40% response and is the standard treatment for low risk anemic MDS.

Best wishes, stay well and Sorry for this long post!!