View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 11:01 AM

Interesting question. It’s a tough one, for sure. My H was originally told there were 10 matches for him. Within days – 7 people declined. We weren’t bothered by that – I’d much rather someone make that decision right away rather than wait and provide false hope. And yes, who knows what the circumstances were – change in health, etc. I do believe that family members who agree to be tested should be told they are now in the registry and they should make a decision if they want to stay in the registry.

The worst thing is when the donor backs out, which is what happened with my husband. A donor was identified and contacted and tested. One week prior to the scheduled transplant he backed out. Can you even imagine the devastation? Believe me, I completely understand the need for anonymity now! Backing out at the 11th hour – oh my gosh – unbelievable. Thank goodness the 2nd donor has stepped up.
Kathy, wife of Dennis (58 yrs old) diagnosed October 2012 w/MDS; bone marrow biopsy confirmed significant fibrosis;blast cells of 5%-10% of total cells, high risk refractory anemia w/ excess blasts (RAEB1); 3 cytogenetic markers; +1, -7, and +21
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/dennismolyneaux