View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 15, 2015, 10:24 AM

Vicki,

I went back and read your other post on fibro and saw you were on a long term dose prednisone for your transplant. After reading that, it seems that there is a connection and that maybe your transplant doc is dismissing it too quickly. There are many unintended consequences as a result of treatment and I think they get ignored since it's no longer a blood disorder.

I am sorry that he is so quick to blame "stress" on your symptoms. Many times doctors will tell patients it's stress when they don't have any answers or if they just can't be bothered. Stress does play a big role in all of this but so does long term therapy with prednisone. It can take up to a year for your adrenal glands to fully recover. Prednisone basically takes over for them and they stop producing cortisol. Once the steroid is stopped, the adrenals need to kick in again. That can take time for some. So your ability to deal with stress is not optimal. AND...just having this disease and treatment is enough to push anyone over the limit.

IMO, a doctor telling you to relax or it's stress causing your problems is not helpful on it's own. This approach usually causes more stress.

You may want to explore a second opinion with another transplant doctor if this doctor continues to make you feel uncomfortable or intimidates you in any way. You should feel comfortable expressing yourself with your doctor and should expect some level of compassion. To blame patients for their illness/symptoms, especially after a transplant is just not right.

Good luck on your next visit.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.