View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 1, 2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen B View Post
Any advice from parents on how they kept their kids positive, active and engaged through transplant would be very helpful...
thanks!
When I was in hospital when I was 5, my parents rigged up a little "trap" from a berry box and some feathers and googly eyes and attached it to the window blind (and made up some long elaborate story, now long forgotten), and every morning when I woke up, it had snared a little present for me! Most of them were activities to keep me occupied for the day, like coloring books, sing-a-long type cassette tapes, little craft kits, legos, etc, and my parents enlisted the help of friends and family to get enough to fill all the days.

It was really good to have something to look forward to each day, and the memories were so good from last time that I had friends and family do the same for me this time around and wrap up "boredom busters" for my transplant even though I'm 30 now!

You should also probably check with the hospital about what will be available in the room/ward where he'll be - will he be allowed in the children's play area/toy room, or will he be confined to just his room? Does the room have a tv/dvd player or radio?
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)