View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 02:22 PM

living with illness

As an occupational therapist I concur with a previous poster regarding doing activities which are meaningful to you.
Whilst in isolation i took up knitting squares to make into blankets, sewing, reading, colouring in, watching funny movies to make me laugh.
Now, I am in my 3rd month after ATG and waiting for counts to improve, my consultant has said i can return to work as they are now above critical, (i work with ex soldiers with ptsd & depression, so low risk for infection). I go out to the shops but not on saturdays, I go out the restaurants but during the week when it is quiet, I love going for little walks, helps with the stiffness i get with the cyclosporin! and just love sitting in the garden watching the birds....I even managed to mow the lawn the other day. Not yet transfusion independent, but hoping this will come within the next few months. For me chatting to other human beings does me a world of good, my diagnosis is treatable, its not terminal....something which I am reminded of by folk in the chemo unit...at least with AA we are not told we only have so long to live....its an unknown....a bit like life really - and at least we are under the care of our consultants, the man in the street could cross the road tomorrow and get run over and killed.....we on the other hand are likely to take much more care with our lives and that has to be a positive thing xxx