View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 2, 2009, 08:45 PM
Administrator

trialad2,

Welcome to Marrowforums. I'm glad you found us. I think you'll find a lot of useful information here as well as support from people who have been through what you, your husband, and your son are going through. It sounds like you've all been through the proverbial wringer since your husband's diagnosis. I was only 41 years old when I was diagnosed with aplastic anemia (later my diagnosed was changed to MDS and I had a bone marrow transplant in 1998) so I understand how devastated you must all be.

First thing to do is vist the Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation on the web (or call them at 800/747-2820) and request their basic information packet about aplastic anemia. As a caregiver, you want to be as informed as you can about aplastic anemia so you can participate with the doctors in your husband's treatment.

As a patient, your husband should be in good hands at the Mayo Clinic. Since he has already experienced serum sickness and AVN, you should be questioning the Mayo doctors extensively about how they plan to mitigate those problems this time around.

He is definitely not too old for a bone marrow transplant. The best donor would be an HLA-matched sibling, but many people are successfully transplanted up to age 70 or so even with unrelated donors. If I were you, I'd want to get his siblings tested right away so you know if that option is open to you.

When is your husband scheduled for the second round of ATG? I hope you'll feel free to post your questions--and your vents--here. We'd like to help.

Regards,
Ruth Cuadra