View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 7, 2009, 12:49 AM

I am sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis - the first year is an emotional roller coaster but things seem to 'settle' down after you learn to live with the disease and take things day by day. Like your husband, I didn't respond to ATG the first time and had extremely horrible serum sickness. I also had high dose steroids for about a month and a half post treatment to keep the serum sickness from coming back. Three months out, no signs of remission - the doctors tried to convince met to go the 2nd ATG route but the serum sickness was keeping me from making that decision. I also had a decent match for an unrelated BMT but couldn't commit because I had a feeling things would just turn around as quickly as they came on. In fact, the white blood cells started to make a reappearance 6-7 months out and around 9 months the red blood cells started to make a slow climb. By 1-year I was no longer transfusion dependent. The platelets still haven't come back but I just have to make small changes in my lifestyle to make what little I do have work. Things will work out for you and your husband, you just have to believe that in the future things will be better because they have to be By the way, considering the relatively short treatment with strong steroids isn't it strange to have the hip failure?

Michelle