View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 5, 2013, 11:07 AM

transfusions; how long does it take to raise Hg?

I am also transfusion dependent, for 2 1/2 years now, due to chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Be aware that it takes at least 3 days for transfusions to raise hemoglobin, due to a protein (?) called 2,3 DPG. The RBCs need to release their oxygen, and it takes a while. An explanation of why this is so is on the late Dr. Terry Hamblin's blog, which is mutated-unmuated.blogspot.com
Just search for 2,3 DPG and you'll get the story behind why this is so. I don't understand the reasoning behind doing a CBC before your body has a chance to assimilate the new RBCs. Dr. Hamblin was a world-famous oncologist who specialized in CLL.
Also, does anyone know whether a greatly enlarged spleen such as I have will hemolyze the RBCs that the body gets in transfusions? They don't seem to be helping me much anymore.
Thanks,
Ellen
Ellen, age 68; dx. 5/00 with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Transfusion dependent since 1/11. Now have low platelets of 25, and, very reluctantly will start on Exjade due to SF of 1700. Worried about side effects, because of warnings from Novartis.

Last edited by esract : Fri Jul 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: My bio has changed. I'm now 69, and never took Exjade