View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 5, 2023, 10:21 AM

Learn from This

Yes triumphe64, I completely agree! I hope the doctors are able to learn from this whole experience, and I hope they can ultimately determine what went wrong to possibly prevent it from occurring in the future.

We feel very disappointed, in some ways, that my brother survived some of the most difficult times during his transplant ordeal to then be snatched away when it seemed he was on the verge of a more complete recovery. Maybe his recovery wasn't going as well as we thought all along? We just don't know.

Could his latest round of problems have been detected earlier and corrected? Were the doctors not paying attention to possible problems like this when the patient reported some of the odd things that were starting to occur (eyesight problems, hallucinating, personality changes, etc.)? Or was this some kind of one-off unique situation that has never happend like this before? Was there anything that could have been done differently?

I guess we'll never know the answer to some of these questions. Maybe some of you on this forum who have had stem cell transplant experience or knowledge might have some insights.