View Single Post
Old Wed May 28, 2014, 07:10 PM

All I can tell you is my experience. Caeruloplasmin is to copper what ferritin is to iron. You can have a normal or even high copper level but if the caeruloplasmin is low there is no way to transport the copper to the cells. Without copper, iron can't be utilised properly and tends to build up in the bone marrow causing iron deposits and ringed sideroblasts. That's why it's important to check both the copper level and the caeruloplasmin level.

I don't know about that blood test you were mentioning. We don't really get much choice with labs and tests here. The Government is pretty strict when it comes to regulating laboratories and the kinds of tests that can be performed.

With my misdiagnosis...I failed Vidaza. My counts were bad...blood transfusions every week or two, neuts either extremely low or zero and blast count increasing. I was in the process of being worked up for bone marrow transplant. I developed numbness of my legs, unsteady gait etc and after about 6 months was finally diagnosed with the copper deficiency ONLY because copper levels were tested for the neurological signs. I am permanently disabled (and deteriorating) because the neurologist decided to procrastinate and do a "watch and wait" on me as I got progressively worse. I also had a low B12 level and the combination of B12 deficiency with copper deficiency makes the Neuro problem exponentially worse and less likely to respond to treatment and more likely to keep progressing despite treatment.

What I'm trying to say is...be your own health advocate...be proactive...don't allow a doctor to downplay your concerns...if you aren't happy with their response, tell them....don't worry about annoying them....don't worry if your questions seem silly, a question is NEVER silly....don't have blind faith, if you want a second, third, fourth opinion...do it! You are more important than what your doctor thinks of you.