Thread: MDS to AML
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 10:39 PM

Loretta’s MDS>AML

After singing the praises of Vidaza for my year reprieve from illness, it stopped working. On 11/28 my BMB showed 32% blasts and 6% in peripheral blood. So, my new dx is AML. I still am grateful for the great year I've had, and am looking forward to getting over this disease.
I’ve been off List-serves and Forums for the last week or so, and thought you might appreciate an update. I checked into MDAnderson late Dec. 19. The following day I had tests done, finding my unusual heart structure, which made drs. unsure about the placement of my Central Line. They also gave me a bag of platelets, so they could insert the line. After a CAT scan assured them of correct placement they began chemo: Idarubicin, and Cytarabine. Christmas day I was finished with the chemo. infusion. In addition to the platelets, I have had 4 RBC transfusions. My energy level is good, until they give me benedryl pre-transfusion. Slight n/d, controlled with Zofran and Lomotil. Lost my appetite the 3rd day and have that yucky mucous coating in my mouth that makes everything taste undesirable. I’m in Protective Environment room and can only visit through a glass window on speaker phone, but if this keeps me infection free I can do it. Thank you for the responses and prayers. They keep my spirit lifted.
progressed to AML 11/28/06