View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 6, 2008, 08:54 AM

Late Up Date for 7-2-2008

Hello all,

I held back this weeks due to pops visit to the Oncologist was Thursday, (and the site would not let me post) and I wanted info. Well, he needed to get blood instead, so that visit has been pushed back to the 15th of July. His hemo was 9.2 on Tuesday and his platelets were 14, so yesterday, all he needed was plates. Well, after he got his fill, the do a retest, and his hemoglobin was down to 7.6. Almost 2 points in a day. So he is getting 2 units of blood today.

We all know pop is not pop anymore. A flash to last year, he was active and working. We see that, but worse, so does he. He has become grumpy "Belle's term", and crabby. I understand why he is that way. His good days were diving and sailing his boat when he lived in Florida, working his property, doing projects, making extra Cash sweeping chimneys and installing fire place inserts "heavy", riding the tractor and mowing, now it is a few hours of T.V. He always said he did not want to become his father, so I would guess that is why he is the way he is. I, personally, have not had a problem, and he has been great to the kids, but mom gets the worst of it. I offered her a day and night off, and I would stay w/ pop and make his meals some weekend. She could drive to my sister Sue's w/ Angie and kids, but she said no. She wants to be w/ pop. She is wore out and could use a rest.

I guess what I am saying is he is now on weekly blood and platelets. The oncologist wants to put him on hospice, {to those that don't know yet} this means he gets no more treatments. The way he body has been acting, that gives him less than a month. Dr, Moreland {his family doc.}, on the other hand, wants him to keep going, "Bob your doing great" he says. So pop keeps going, being miserable. The chemo is giving him the dry heaves, and he says it feels like something tore on his left side. He can't even make it out side for more than a few minutes anymore.

I don't want to sound like a bad son, but he was so worried about quality of life verses quantity. His quality is gone. What do we do, just wait and watch him not be who he was. His choice, I know. Not Pop though, he never just went through the motions, he was a project starter, hard worker and adventurer all his life. Now, barley an observer.

I will wait until July 15 to make another post. See what the Oncologist has to say.

Scott

Son Of Bob
Scott, Son of BOB. My father, diagnosed 9/07 with "hypo-cellular acute bone marrow Leukemia" AA, AML & MDS. He was 77 years old 08/25/2008. He was being treated with Ara-C, blood and platelets w/needed. Stopped blood treatments 12/08/08 & passed 12/23/2008. Pop was the best father and friend.