View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 27, 2016, 07:16 PM

I had equine ATG back in the late '80s when the protocol involved giving it for 16 days. I had a precipitous drop in all cell lines, fever, chills, massive oral hematomas and ulcers - and eventually developed severe avascular necrosis in all major joints. I also had 'roid rage, but because my default mode is always humor, I thought I was pretty funny even though other people didn't. I was confined to bed due to a platelet count of 0 and was required to let someone assist me to the restroom, but I thought that was nuts and I didn't abide by it. It took me two months to recover from the above-described effects of ATG, but three months to the day after I was discharged from the hospital, I won a Detroit legal professionals' spelling bee. IOW, it did not have permanent effects except for the avascular necrosis and that is and was the worst thing to come out of it.

Now they want me to do rabbit ATG because "severe aplastic anemia" is back, but I just don't have my game face on for it this time and am tempted to rule it out completely. I wouldn't not do it because of the side effects but because I have so many antibodies to transfusions that I doubt I'd survive the transfusions themselves.

Best wishes to you!

Margaret