View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 20, 2016, 02:19 AM

My Journey has just begun

Hello everyone,
I'm glad I found this forum, but no so glad I've joined the long list of people suffering with a bone marrow condition.
I went to the doctor after months of back pain in the thoracic region and feeling a bit run down. I've have ankylosing spondylitis for ~30 years, and thought this was the reason for the back pain.
The doc sent me for a routine blood test about a month ago and the results came back with low reds, whites and platlets - Pancytopenia. Since then I've had another 4 blood tests with similar low results and several other tests that have resulted in the other possible causes being ruled out. I was sent for a BMB about 3 weeks ago and the pathologist report finding was RAEB-2 with 18% blasts. The haematologist gave me the news earlier this week, but said they believe it to be early AML as the is some inconsitency with the lack of displasia seen.
I am booked in to start chemo in a couple of days, but first they will do another BMB to check if blasts are now over 20% as this will confirm AML I think. From what I can gather, treatment will be the same either way.
Doctors tell me the thoracic pain (now in my ribs and sternum area) are due to this condition and not AS.
I am 54 yo male, quite healthy and fit otherwise and trying hard to stay positive though I don't really know what to expect.
Thanks for reading...
Russell