View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 20, 2016, 10:31 AM

Rusty, welcome. Your diagnosis from what you mentioned is very similar if not exactly what my situation was at this same time in 2013. We waited over the Thanksgiving holiday for more information. My doctors immediately started me on azacitidine. It basically saved my life. I was on it for eight cycles while getting everything ready for a stem cell transplant. As hoped, my CBC results started trending toward normal and I was still feeling well (before the diagnosis I was feeling totally normal). I was walking a hilly 18 hole golf course (6.2 miles) without any problem. Since the only "cure" for MDS (RAEB-II) is a stem cell transplant (SCT) I was ready as soon as my numbers were reasonably well and I was still in good shape physically and mentally. Give great consideration if a doctor tells you to "watch and wait" with RAEB-II. It is my strong belief that having the stem cell transplant should happen when you are feeling your best.

You mentioned chemotherapy. What in particular, azacitidine (Vidaza)? You will have many questions. Be sure to ask because there are many on this forum who can help since they have been through your situation. Keep close track of all your medical results in a very organized fashion. We wish you the very best.