View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 7, 2016, 09:42 AM

I worked in the field of Social Security disability insurance and SSI for over 4 years, up until a couple of years ago, and I got disability myself "as of age 55" until I qualified for old age benefits earlier this year.

A review after 6 months is fairly standard, especially if a bone marrow transplant is being contemplated. The Administration reviews the latest medical records and generally rubber-stamps them if there is no change. It sends out a short questionnaire (I've received those; it's on the nature of "do you still see Dr. So-and-So? If so, what is your current diagnosis?") and you just answer that and send it back. I never had my benefits terminated due to that or to a review.

Whether a person still gets disability after a successful BMT is determined on a case-by-case basis. We had a client who had Hodgkin's Disease - and a football-sized mass in his chest. That was removed and he was treated. He was only 23 years old and was working on a master's degree at the time. One year out from the treatment, we attempted to obtain a "closed period of disability" for him, for the year and a half he lost in being treated for this, and we were successful. The administrative law judges determine eligibility for disability after treatment by considering the testimony at the hearing - if there is one - of the vocational expert. Are there any jobs in the local economy that this person can perform according to his skill set? Can he work full-time? Part-time?

I hope some of this makes sense... I wish you and your husband well!

Margaret