View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 12:23 PM

I would have to do some specific research on current statistics of the risk of very short term use of G-CSF (Neupogen) for the purpose of being a stem cell donor to someone in need.
Fo now, for what it's worth, I can tell you that in the situation of considering a donor and preparing them for donation, it is their health and well being that comes before that of the patient they are donating to. Donor safety is always more paramount than patient safety, as the patient is already at a detriment.

The bottom line here is that Neupogen would not be on the market and available for use if it carried a measurable and traceable risk of harm.

This article, originally posted in another thread by Birgitta suggests that Neupogen didn't even increase the occurance of transformation to AML (acute myelogenous leukemia) from MDS in a group where it is somewhat anticipated. So, my take on this is that if Neupogen can't provoke a malignancy in a person at higher risk of malignancy (those with MDS), then, quite likely, it is completely safe for short term use by a donor whose health and well being has been carefully and thoroughly screened before being considered as the definitive donor. Here is that article, or at least a summary of same:

http://www.abstractserver.com/mds201...k7nston62kni20

Best wishes,
Nicole, mom to Evan (20); diagnosed SAA November 2007, hATG mid-November 2007, no response after 6 months, unrelated 9/10 BMT June 2008, no GVH, health completely restored thanks to our beloved donor Bryan from Tennessee.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/evanmacneil