Thread: Hi to everyone
View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 6, 2012, 02:29 PM

Hi Annya,
I am in the UK also, down in Shropshire. I am about 18 months post rabbit (ALG) one of the last in this country to be dealt rabbit as opposed to horse.
Cyclosporin knocks out T cells, T cells are our first line of defence in skin cancer, which is why when we are on it we are told to stay out of the sun.
Now for my experience of ALG - in hospital for about 3 weeks, they prepare your body a bit like a bone marrow transplant so you end up with nothing - they give you platelet and blood transfusions throughout - they then give you a test dose of the atg - just to make sure you dont react.
then they infuse like they say - I got flu like symptoms the first night, with teeth chattering and feeling cold even though I had a fever. But i was laughing because it looked funny, then nothing for a few days, then bright red palms, then an itchy rash - both sorted with piriton on hydracortisone - then a few days late another rash again dealt with. After the three weeks sent home....no further problems and continued having blood and platelet transfusions for 10 months!!! all of a sudden counts began to climb and I became transfusion free. counts currently hb11, plates 55,neuts normal and whites normal. I have a ferrous count of 1500 but stopped taking exjade as I suffered some eye issues which we are not sure if they are related or not. Look up my name and you will see the posts as I patiently waited and got frustrated. Try to keep positive, we all have a different experience of this stupid disease. But live life to the full as much as you can, plan for the future and use this as much as you can - but DONOT go on to the internet too much, there is some scary stuff out there and a lot of it is over 20 years old. xx good luck xx