View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 01:42 PM

abdominal issues

Hi,

I was diagnosed with moderate aplastic anemia in 2005. (My lowest counts were wbc ~ 2.0 anc ~480 hgb ~ 8 plt ~33k. However, my wbc was usually normal and anc usually above 1000). In late 2006, I was instructed to take a hormone and my counts immediately started to rise towards normal ....wbc ~4 anc ~ 1200-2400 plt ~100k-120k hgb~12 for 2007 - 2009.

For the past 1.5 months, I have been having odd abdominal symptoms. It started after I woke up in the middle of the night with intense abdominal pain (center) that lasted for hours. Now, every single day after eating lunch and dinner, I have abdominal pain, very loud stomach noises, or extreme bloating. The symptoms kind of went in phases, such that the last 2 weeks I've had predominantly the latter and am never hungry.

My CBC showed a low wbc = 2.3 and anc ~ 780 and plt ~ 95k (not bad). After having fairly normal counts for the past 2 years, my doctor was surprised to see this result and my hematologist implied that my abdominal symptoms could be related to this. However, I did not think that an ANC above 500 should be symptomatic. Sure, my wbc is low, but not really that low, right.

I really hate to complain because I've been extremely lucky in my case of AA!! However, these problems are getting mildly annoying and are worsening, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Has anyone had or heard of such abdominal symptoms related to a low wbc?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Serena