View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 08:50 AM

Hi Stayinghopeful!

Complicated cytogenetics and a high blast count are usually a recipe for transplant, if the patient is young enough -- which your Dad certainly is. I believe the way the math works is that there's a 25% chance that any sibling will be a match -- so having lots of brothers and sisters is, in this instance, a very good thing. But, even if a family member is not a match, most folks can find a matched unrelated donor [MUD] in the registry, unless they come from a more unusual mixed ethnic background.

In addition to needing to live close to the transplant center for a while, I imagine the docs told you that it would be important for your Dad to have a caregiver during transplant and that post-transplant time.

I'm not smart about Vidaza; from reading on marrowforums, it seems like there's a pretty wide variation in how folks respond -- and how long it takes to respond. But your Dad's experience so far certainly sounds hopeful to me.

He's fortunate to have you looking out for him and gathering information.

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com