View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 18, 2016, 07:19 AM

counts are close to yours

Thank you so much for your reply...as mentioned by counts have been going lower each year for 4 years: WBC 3.4, RBC 3.82 HGB 11.5, and HCT 35.5 Abs Neu 1.7 PLT 228 From what I've read in these replies -- a bmb will be the only way to truly get a good picture of what might be the cause.
first hurdle, a colonoscopy next week, then the hemotologist after the 1st of year. Until that time I will continue to read on this site. such very helpful and knowledge people. Thank you again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailie View Post
Welcome to the forum. There are many different stories and you have good questions. For me I had a routine CBC when "out of the blue" I had a kidney stone attack. Among my counts on that CBC were Plts @ 48, RBCs @ 3.75, WBCs@ 4.7 and HGB @ 12.6.
Immediately I had two bone marrow biopsies within a week that showed three genetic mutations. I was diagnosed with MDS (RAEB-II) after the second BMB. The strange thing was that I felt totally normal. I have to credit my doctors who acted promptly to start me on Vidaza with the intention of getting a stem cell transplant as soon as counts got back to normal range.

Some people can go for years with MDS. It just depends on which of many types of MDS affect a person. For me, time was of the essence. My situation was very fluid and I didn't have any time to wait around. Realize that the more information you have, the better you can handle the situation. Don't get caught up in ignoring what is taking place. Organize your results so you can make easy comparisons to identify trends. Don't just stack up these results in a pile of papers.

We wish you the very best and feel free to ask questions.
p.s. I have had 18 bone marrow biopsies.