Thread: Desferal
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 06:53 AM

Desferal

Hi Gina,
I was dx with MDS May 2006 and started with RBC transfusions at once since my HGB was 7,0. My liver tests have alvays been OK and in Sweden the doctors start chelating therapy when the liver tests are too high or the ferritin level more than 1500.

During summer 2007 when I had got 37 units of RBC:s we should start with Desferal but then I had four infections and very low HGB, WBC:s and platelets. I had several RBC transfusions and the ferritin level increased to 1962 Aug 2007.

Since then I have had Desferal from a home pump in my port-a-cath four days in connection with RBC transfusions every 6th week. I always get 25 mg per kg - that is 25 mg x 66 = 1650 mg. I don´t know how much saline it is in the pump but it have the size of a tennis ball in the beginning of the infusion. My last ferritin value was 1625

Oct 2007 I had a MRI of liver and heart. There was no iron in the heart and the heart function was very good.

Hope this report will help you . You know the ferritin level changes very much depending on when you got the last transfusion. The very high value – 2959 – was perhaps measured very soon after a transfusion?

Kind regards
Birgitta-A
68 yo, MDS Interm-1 dx May 2006, transfusion dependent, Desferal four days with transfusion every 6th week, Neupogen 2 injections/week, asymptomatic