View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 4, 2010, 10:16 AM

Dear Birgitta-A,

Thank you for your kindly response. I feared that my questioning your relationship to pharmaceutical companies might offend you. In the USA at least, doctors are in bed the Pharma in multiple ways. That influences what they recommend.

The article you provided cleared up a great deal for me. It says in its conclusion and elsewhere that "azacitidine is an attractive additional therapeutic option for patients with lower-risk MDS who are transfusion dependent and have failed other therapies."

I am transfusion dependent Intermediate I, so I have some insight into why my doctor recommended starting with decitabine.

Less seems to be known about decitabinethan azacitidine. Do you know any article on decitabine like the one you linked me to on azacitidine?

The significance of decitabine DNA-pathway versus azacitidine DNA and RNA pathways seem to be little understood.

Thank you again.
GaryV, 62, MDS-Uncl, Interm 1, Dx 6/2006; Trisomy 9, 20(q) deletion, acellular bone marrow, <1% blasts; Aranesp 300mg, then 500mg every 2 wks, effective for 6 months, discontinued. ANC normal; chronically acute RBC 6.7-7.6 range; chronically acute PLT 11,000; RBC and PLT transfusions weekly