View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 3, 2011, 08:00 AM

Update

Hi all. I am almost 8 months out from my transplant! Began showing liver issues - had biopsy and it was back and forth as to whether it was gvhd or toxicity from meds. Doc changed meds and put me on prednisone. My husband and I were to head west on our motorcycle and wouldn't you know the day before we were to leave I looked in the mirror to find splotches on my face, tummy and back! grrrrrrrr Had to delay trip until I saw Doc. Biopsy showed it is gvhd. I was on 40 mg of prednisone (nasty stuff ) and used a lotion on my skin. Doc believes my liver is gvhd as well. Numbers aren't "that" high, and skin is not bad so he considers it mild. We had a nice trip on the bike EXCEPT it was over 100 degrees and Kansas has to be a sample of what hell will be like! I ended up getting my granddaughter's cold and was semi sick the whole trip! bahhhhh But we enjoyed getting away. Last year I thought I'd never be on the bike again - but I did ! A couple of days ago I began getting sores in my mouth so I am gargling some steroid elixir 4 times a day. The elixir says it will lower my immune system - the prednisone says the same. I'm staying in for a while. Plus I have been very tired probably from the meds. OH and they say you get "moon face" with prednisone........... ha.............. my face is round, shoulders are huge, back is huge and I do not feel very pretty at all ! I have begun to wean down and am currently at 25 mg of prednisone. I only sleep a couple hours at a time with this. I liked being on 1 mg of prednisone - it gave me some umph - but the higher dose is not so pleasant!

Over all, I am doing good. I just thought I'd share my status with you all out there.

Please keep my family (especially my daughter, Angela) in your prayers as she begins 6 weeks of radiation next week for her breast cancer. Hugs and Blessings for all. Lori
Lori, female age 53 dx MDS-RAEB-II 15% blasts 10-2010. Induc Chemo 10/14/10 for 7 days - results unacceptable so 5 additional days chemo. Complete Remission 12/10/10!! SCT 1-11-11 remission achieved!!! BMB 1-29-11 100% Donor! cgvh eyes,skin (Caringbridge.org/visit/loripatrick)