Thread: New Member
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 04:02 PM

Update 10/11

Got my official report from Mayo. Pathologists still think they cannot call it MDS based on their samples. But the karotyping found -13q in 3 of 20 metaphases. So that moves the score from no to probably.
Dr. said that you can't really do a prognosis if the diagnosis isn't definitive. OK?
But if she was pressed, she would say it was intermediate level (not what I want to hear) MDS. She recommends CBC every 2 weeks to see what is happening. This is more aggressive than what my hematologist locally has suggested.

Found an interesting article that suggests -13q is a lower risk and should actually be called atypical aplastic anemia. With that diagnosis immuno suppresive drugs are suggested. Here is url http://www.haematologica.org/content....full.pdf+html

I'm not sure if this applies to me but it can be a topic of conversation at my next appointment.

Good news: I am going to the AA&MDS Symposium in Chicago. Hope to see some of you folks there next week. Looking forward to learning more about MDS and AA.
Carol, age 75, diagnosed with MDS 9/2012, on wait and watch, recently had blood values drop probably due to Arimixdex, values coming back, but still serious fatigue, recent bone marrow text showed only 2% blasts